Moving house is an exciting but stressful time. Choosing the right removalist service is key to ensuring your belongings arrive safely at your new home. With so many removal companies to pick from, comparing services and prices is overwhelming. The first step is gathering quotes from several licensed and insured removal companies. Moving companies will need details like.
- Date of your move
- Pickup and delivery addresses
- Approximate quantity of items and furniture
- Items that require special maintenance, such as pianos
Ask about discounts
Don’t be shy about asking for a discounted rate, especially if you’re moving on short notice and they have availability. Some removalists offer midweek or off-peak discounts to fill their trucks. Bundling packing with transportation services may also lower costs. Look beyond basic loading and transportation. What extra services do they provide? Useful additions may include.
- Packing and unpacking help
- Storage facilities if you need temporary storage
- Single-item transport e.g. moving just a piano
- Insurance options in case of damage
- Cleaning after they unload items
Choose a removalist that suits your needs. If you need full packing services, select a company providing that option.
Assess their reputation
Check reviews on Google, Facebook, and third-party review platforms. Pay attention to recent feedback within the past 1-2 years. Look for red flags like lack of communication, damages, and hidden fees. Positive reviews mentioning professional staff, timely service, reasonable prices, and safe handling of belongings are signs of a quality removal company. Long-distance movers with experience doing removals from removalists Melbourne to Sydney are ideal. They’ll be familiar with proper procedures for an interstate move.
Inspect their trucks and facilities
Do they maintain a modern truck fleet? Older trucks without proper suspension put your belongings at greater risk of damage. Hydraulic tailgates, blankets, and straps are must-haves too. Ask to see their storage facilities if you’re considering temporary storage. Are they climate-controlled and secure? This protects your items from weather damage, pests, and theft. From the initial quote request to move day, notice how responsive their office staff is. Reach out with questions to see how quickly and thoroughly they respond. Clear communication is a must for an interstate move. Confirm they have processes in place to provide status updates before, during, and after your relocation. Consider how the company representative makes you feel. A professional, courteous removal team you’re comfortable with is critical. Don’t ignore your intuition if something seems off about a removal company.
- Confirm they have insurance to cover damages, with several liability options.
- Ask about their employee screening and hiring practices.
- Check they’re registered as a moving company not just a delivery service.
- Request a binding quote, not a vague estimate that can increase.
- Inquire about their cancellation and refund policies if plans change.
- Ask if they offer storage facilities in both pickup and delivery locations.
Choosing the right removalist service for you
A removalist taking steps to provide responsive communication, quality customer service, and appropriate protections will give you peace of mind. Ensure they fully explain their quote, scope of services, and policies before signing a contract. The right removal team makes an interstate move smoother. Conducting thorough research helps remove the stress often associated with moving homes. Comparing removalists from Melbourne to Sydney using these guidelines allows you to confidently choose a removal service that meets your needs, budget, and expectations.