It is not always easy to know when it is time for a professional roof inspection. There are many things that can happen between regular inspections. Small problems can often get worse if they aren’t addressed quickly. Even though it is likely that the once-a-year inspections will suffice, it is still important to inspect your home for any signs of damage, especially after a major weather event. This could help you save thousands of dollars!
A self-inspection does not have to be dangerous. Joe and Suzy homeowners should not get on roofs after storms or with older roofs. It is possible to see quite a lot without a ladder or safety equipment.
You can conduct an interior inspection by simply checking the ceilings in your rooms and closets. If you have access to your attic, a flashlight can help you find out more. What to look for:
1) Sagging areas
2) Active signs or leaks that an area may be leaking
3) Dark spots
4) Light seeping through the roof.
Take note of any damage and go outside. Take a look around the exterior and note any damage such as missing, damaged, buckled, or curled shingles.
5) Pay attention to the shingles around the edges of your roof. Look for cracked, missing, crooked, or missing shingles.
6) Check for any loose material or visible wear around chimneys, pipes, and vents.
7) Check the gutter downspouts for excess shingle pieces or granules. This is an indication of wear.
8) Check the drainage system. Make sure that gutters and downspouts have been properly connected and are free of debris.
9) Check for moisture, mold/fungi or rot. Do not just inspect the affected areas. Water will quickly travel from the affected area to other roof parts, causing mold, bacteria, and fungi growth within 48 hours.
10) Ventilation from interior rooms like the bathroom, kitchen or other areas with high humidity should be directed outside, not into your attic.
If you have any concerns, a professional roof inspection should be done. The good news? In many cases, a new roofing is not the best option. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of repairing or replacing a roof. A professional roof contractor will conduct a thorough inspection and explain all options to you.
This post was written by a roofing professional at KCG Roofing. KCG Roofing is a premier roofing contractor that does Tampa roof repair! KCG Roofing has the experience and expertise to replace or repair your roof with quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. All our roofs are backed by a 15-year leak-free guarantee, the highest in the industry. We have been family-owned and operated for over 40 years.